Fool for Romance

First a disclaimer. I’m typing this on my itty bitty computer with the itty bitty International keyboard which means some of the keys are not where they should be and I can’t find them. Please ignore punctuation… I did the best I could.


Today is my day to host the Fool for Romance blog. As I considered what I should write about, I dismissed straight up promotion because well, you all know Creative License is available at Samhain and my shorts can be found at The Wild Rose Press, it says so to the right. Then I considered writing a blog about promotion. How much is too much, how much is not enough? But I really didn’t want to go there. So I finally settled on writing about romance. I mean, that’s what I do, right. What is it about romance that lures us in?

I read my first romance as a preteen. I loved reading the stories of man finds girl, woos girls and finally marries girl. Happy sigh. I wanted that. Wanted a man who loved me completely. Skip way ahead. We’re skipping past the tragic wrong man love story. For many years, as a single mother, I shamelessly lived through the heroine of the story and then the heroines of my stories because although my love story hadn’t worked out, I believed in happily ever after … for other people. Now that I have my own second¬-chance-at-love story, you’d think I wouldn’t be drawn to romance so much… I mean I’m living a romance with all the fireworks, chemistry I try to put in my stories. You’d be wrong. I love romance. There is just something about two people overcoming obstacles, finding each other, learning from past mistakes and falling in love that draws me in.

There are all types of love stories: Right man wrong time, Right man right time, Friends to lovers, Reunion, Cougar, and many more. I'm not sure what my favorites are... but FIRST DATE is something of a reunion story as is CREATIVE LICENSE. AFTER HOURS is a cougar love story. I’m currently working on a friends to lovers story that I just love.

I write romance because I love it. I will be the first to admit I’m in love with love.

So, what are your favorite kinds of romance stories and/or why do you read romance?

Remember, commenting on this blog enters you in a contest to not only win Tickle n Taste powder, but in enters you in a contest to win a KINDLE. Yup, a kindle. But you must leave your two cents below.

For more information, visit Crystal Rain Love's blog.

And tomorrow, visit Debra St. John on Facebook and friend her.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was in the seventh grade I got in trouble for reading a romance book that was tucked into my math book, lol! My grandma and mom got me started reading romance and I haven't stopped. Romance is what spawned my desire to become a romance writer and although I am still unpublished I'm working hard to make that dream come true. I will read any kind of romance and have three book shelves full of them! Thanks for helping with the contest and the fun blog.

Unknown said...

I love romantic stories. Even when you know it will have a happy ending, the story of how they got there will keep me entertained throughout the entire book. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

I'm happily married and still love romance. My husband is great but he's not a fantasy lover. He loves it when I read romance because I am more affectionate.

Shawna Thomas said...

Hi Jen!

Good luck in your road to publication. One of the best things to do is to read so you're well on your way. : )

Thank you, Maria. You're right. The journey is what matters even when you know there's an HEA at the end.

Sara, see there are all kinds of benefits to reading romance. ; ) Congratulations on a happy marriage!!!

Thank you all and good luck in the contest!

Judy said...

I love romance too!!! Like the contest says I am a Fool for Romance:) There are not too many genres that I do not read and enjoy. My favorites have always been Historical Romances and here lately I am enjoying the Paranormal Shifter also. I love a happy ending, some people in life do not get them.

Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

Mark said...

I guess I consider myself a hopeless romantic at times. I like romance when it's done well within a story, but the characters must be well written and the story must be good.

Mark

wv_mark (at) yahoo dot com

Rebecca said...

I agree with Mark. The story has to support the romance and the characters have to be believable. The romance is the icing on the cake. I love a good story that pulls me into its world and has a happy ending. Nothing like it!

Kay V said...

Everthing you say about Romance is true. No matter what our walk of life is, we all have that moment when we become little girls and we want that eternal happy ending.

rbooth43 said...

I am a Fool For Romance and have been reading romance book since I was in my early teens many years ago. I am in my late 60s now, and am still hooked for romance especially with a happy ending. I was happily married for 36 years before my husbands death. What a great romance we had!
Thanks!
Rebecca
rbooth43@yahoo.com